Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Looking in the mirror...

 


If you read my previous story about puppy distractions, you would know that mirrors are not my friend this past week.  Every time I look into a mirror my face reminds me of the ‘puppy incident’.  I am grateful that the cut and bruises are not as bad as they could have been.   A broken bone would have taken much longer to heal.  In actuality my pride was bruised more than my cheek. But I digress.

This past week I woke up and started my daily routine which included washing my face and brushing my teeth.  As I looked into the mirror I was reminded of the ‘incident’ as the mirror reflected my image.  At first, I didn’t want to look at the ugly cut and bruise on my cheek.  But I had to so that I could tend to the wound and it wouldn’t get infected.  As the days went by, I began to realize that the more I paid attention to the wound while adding healing salve to it, the better it started to look.  Not make up ready, but better than day one.

Then it hit me.  Not literally, that was last week…  God was speaking to me and quietly reminding me to look into the mirror of my soul.  If I paid attention to my soul and my actions as closely as I did the wound on my face, how much more would I ‘heal’ internally?  My Heavenly Father wanted me to examine myself internally daily as I did my face.  I needed to dig deeper.  The surface wounds and distractions were not as important as the things I needed to resolve internally to become closer to Him.  We need to daily examine ourselves to ‘clean house’ so to speak and get right with God.  Clean out the things that are not of Him.  Anger, jealousy, and pride are just a few.

Now I can totally go down the rabbit hole and try to do all of this in my own strength.  I would fail miserably because I am weak and only human.  We are a work in progress and will be so until we see Him face to face.  When I discover the things that need to be removed from me, I need to come to the cross and ask for His help.  I can’t do this on my own.  My Heavenly Father sees the end from the beginning.  So because of that, He can see what we will become with His help.  He loves us just where we are and gently works on us daily to become what He has planned for us.  How awesome is that?


I am thankful for His Grace and Mercy as He helps me become more like Him each day.
  Don’t forget to look in the mirror and then thank Him for daily working on and in us.

James 1:23-25

 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.  But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

Philippians 1:6  

being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful message. He is so good and his Grace abounds so. Looking deep inside of our souls is key! Love you dear Friend - R. Thuber

    ReplyDelete

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...