Friday, October 8, 2021

Love & Commitment...

 


This picture may seem unremarkable to the viewer, but it is far from ordinary.  Please excuse the graininess of the photo.  It was taken early this morning while my husband stood outside with our puppies on their morning routine.  Each day my love gets up when the alarm goes off and proceeds to take the puppies out to do their business.  One has been accustomed to going out with Dad as they enjoy the morning air.  The second puppy goes after because he is more of the loner and would like more privacy. 

After the morning routine has been completed, my husband lovingly brings me coffee as I start my daily devotions and we discuss the affairs for the day.  As he completed getting ready for the morning, this second picture was taken.  He takes the puppies out one more time to get their special treat as they do their duty for the morning.  I captured this moment, though he didn’t know it, because I was struck by the daily commitment, he shows to not only me, but to everything around him. 

This man works hard for his family and for the Lord.  He is a daily model of love and dedication to our marriage as he goes to work in our business and comes home to me each night and helps around the house with the puppies and surprises me with flowers on occasion.  We work hard together to make our marriage foundation solid.  Are there arguments?  Yes, we are human. But we strive daily to push through and make each other a priority after God.  With God in the middle of our marriage, we are more understanding and forgiving because He first forgave us.

Last night, I spent an hour on the phone with a dear friend pulling together details of their loving marriage and life for my next book.  What struck me while we were talking is that same daily commitment they showed to each other.  She works diligently each day to bring joy to her husband and family as he struggles with a new illness.  He was there for her during their many years of marriage, and now she is his strength as they face this new obstacle together.  They are stronger together with our Heavenly Father’s help.


Are either of the two couples I mentioned above perfect?
  No, they are not, and never would claim to be.  There is only one perfect One.  We strive daily to be the example He has shown us.  We need to remind ourselves that we are a daily reminder to the world of Christ and His church.  As we live our married lives, we are that example of how a Godly marriage should be.  That is a daunting and humbling task we take seriously.  But again, we are so grateful for His grace and mercy as we fail regular because we are human.

Another thing we need to keep in mind is that there are only so many days we are given to spend with each other.  Someday, one of us will be gone and we will not have these precious moments together, only memories.  Take the time to say I love you today to your significant other.  The time is short.  The time is now.  Reach out to each other and press into Him as you continue to build your foundation together.

 

Ecclesiastes 4:12 NIV

Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Ephesians 5: 25-32

25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.” 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...