Friday, February 25, 2022

Fighting 'gators...


 

I stepped out to run errands yesterday before the storm so I could focus on other things when the snow hit.  One of my errands was to Staples to pick up a couple of plastic chair mats to go under our office chairs at work.  We have one that had cracked in several places and was taped together with packing tape to avoid the wheels.  Also, my office chair did not have a mat underneath and I daily fought the carpet each time I moved my chair.  I decided to bite the bullet so to speak and purchase two mats.

I walked into Staples and headed towards the back of the store where I knew the mats were located.  I found them and to my surprise, a few more options than I expected. 

There were multiple colors and size options.  Had it really been that long since I purchased one of these?  I proceeded to call the office and asked for the size of the original mat.  After a few moments I had the size and decided to keep it simple and pick the basic ones without the fancy colors.  That is when the fun started.

I reached up to grab the mats that were hooked to a display stand and discovered two mats were heavier than I realized.  It took a couple of tries and tugs, but I was able to pull off the first side and then reach for the second hook.  Reaching in between the mats to unhook my purchase became a game of ‘avoid the needles’ as the underside of the mats bit into my hand as I gently tried to yank the mat away from the hook.  This was not as easy as I originally thought.  Finally, the mats gave way from the hook and flew to the floor in different directions like unruly kids.

I then attempted to fold them into a semi-circle so I could avoid the underside and place them into my waiting cart.  The mats once again flew in different directions on the floor as I stood amazed at their stubbornness.  I was now getting over heated in my winter coat as I tried to grab the mats again, determined to shove them into my cart.  The mats mocked me each time I grabbed them from the outside to curl them in.  They would resist my grasp and the next thing I knew I was wrestling with plastic mats in Staples.  I felt like I was wrestling two large plastic alligators.   I must have looked like a crazy woman as I wrestled for several minutes and finally got a serious grip and shoved them successfully into my cart. 

My hands had small cuts from the undersides of the mats.  I was glad there were no cameras around but there were a few people who slowed down to see if I would win the fight.   I could only laugh at myself at that moment. I am sure I was quite the comedy relief to the other shoppers.

As I drove home, I called the office and shared my experience laughing at the absurdity of it all.  It was my reminder to not take myself too seriously.  Laughter is good medicine for the soul. 

Sitting in my office chair writing this blog, I feel excited to move my chair around without a carpet fight.  I am grateful because I don’t have much fight left in me after the ‘gators…

Proverbs 17:22 (NIV)

A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picking up papers off the floor...

  This may seem like a completely random topic but hang with me for a minute.  How many times have you walked past something in your house t...