Thursday, September 29, 2022

Feeling weighted down today…?


 

I sometimes get stuck in the weeds worrying about things that I have either no control over or haven’t handed over to God.  When that happens, I feel burdened by the weight of my worrying. 



I have a standing joke I share with friends: “Take my advice, I’m not using it…”

It is easy to say; “Hand this over to the Lord.”  When I have something bothering me, I tend to hold it tight and wonder why I feel burdened.  I proceed to pray and hand it over to my heavenly Father at the cross.  Then I turn around to walk away and realize I am holding it again. 

Whoops.. Did I just take it back again?  Yes, I did…  Sometimes I need a reminder to let things go. Sharing my struggles here is a great way to take the first steps.



While having breakfast with a friend, I discovered I needed this reminder again.  As she shared her burdens and self-condemnation with me, I saw a picture in my head.  She was wearing her burdens like an oversized coat on her back.  They were very heavy and consuming.  The burdens were not hers to carry. 

I reminded her that Jesus nailed her past and future sins to the cross.  She was removing those sins and carrying them on her back like an old, oversized coat. 

“Remove the coat and give it back to who can take care if it for you.”

“It is not your burden to carry.”

“It is not your coat to carry.”

Romans 8:1 says: Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus

When we become a Christian, God forgives our past, present, and future sins.  Why would we want to carry that burden after what Christ did for us?

It also struck home with me.  How many times have I walked around carrying someone else’s coat?  Next time I feel a heavy weight, I am going to look behind me and make sure I take the coat off – and give it to who can handle it…



She felt a release of the burden when we shared together.  Then as a reminder, God is so good, He gave her another confirmation in Isaiah 41:10.  This is one of her favorite verses.

Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

I just happened to have that verse on my arm as a temporary tattoo.  I change them out weekly and this was the one I picked for the week.

Another holy echo by God sharing how important my friend is to Him and that she needs to give ALL her burdens back to Him.  God has big shoulders and can handle all the burdens better than she could.

Are you feeling burdened today?  Remove the heavy coat and give it to who can lighten the load for you. 

Rest in Him today.

 

Matthew 11:30 (NIV)

For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

Matthew 11:29 (NIV)

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Psalms 119:105 (NIV)

Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...