Thursday, March 30, 2023

Helpmates in life

 



This past week I have been reminiscing about Carl and myself and some of the stories we have experienced over the years.  I have posted some of these stories on social media.  I decided to take one and give a few more details here for your entertainment.  Or as we often say, “So you can see you are not alone, and we are all in this relationship/marriage thing together.” 😊 We just hang on for the ride with God on our side!

One year we (actually it was me) decided we should do a Tough Mudder.  (Look them up online and you will know that it was a large undertaking for someone who doesn't normally exercise… toughmudder.com) The goal is to start and finish as a team and you will then receive a headband, a shirt, a beer, and bragging rights.  Seriously, that is all. 

I have never taken a challenge like this in my life, so I decided we better get into shape for this one. My husband and I began a workout routine for the five months before the even to prepare for the task ahead.  We signed up with some family and team members from work.  We had our team set and were ready for the event when the day arrived, at least I thought we were.

When we arrived bright and early the nerves began to set in.  What was I thinking?  I couldn’t say it out loud though because I was the one who came up with this crazy idea.  One of our daughters friends joined us and forgot her inhaler.  That would slow us down a bit.  Another team member didn’t think he needed to work out because he judged he was ‘in shape’ enough.  That would catch up with him later. 

We were ready either way.  We were doing this!


One of the first obstacles was called the Artic Enema.  Basically, a fancy ice bath that you slide into (full submersion) and climb back out of.  I thought it would be easy peasy.  Carl jumped into the enormous tank of ice water, and I jumped in after him.  He started to walk through the ice water towards the other side and climb out with no problem. This is where the problem started.  When I jumped into the ice bath my mind was like, "Sure, just follow your husband" however my body was like, "What is this??" and I couldn't move.  I was frozen in place.  No matter how hard I WANTED to move, my body was like, "Nope, sorry, not today."

My husband was almost out of the frustrating freezing obstacle, when he looked back for me and realized I was still at the beginning... standing... not moving.  So my poor husband had to get back into the ice water and come and get me, and drag my lifeless body to the other side.  Now that is love...

The final obstacle in the course was called - Electroshock Therapy.  If the name didn’t deter you, the description of the obstacle would.  Here is a brief description from their website:


Perhaps Tough Mudder’s most controversial obstacle, this simple structure remains largely unchanged from its inception and earliest days on course. A field of wires dangling from a rectangular frame, clicking as 10,000 volts crackle through them. Over the years, mud, trenches, rows of hay and even a grandstand have been added to enhance the spectacle. A right of passage for most participants and favorite amongst spectators who enjoy watching the carnage.




When we signed up for this event, I expressly stated to my husband we can skip the last obstacle.  One of the benefits of doing a Tough Mudder is you are able do some, all, or none of the obstacles in the course.  It is up to you and your team.  Either way it is a team effort.  You start and end together.  The biggest part of this event is to work as a team. 

Throughout the day we worked as a team through the many obstacles until the final one was between us and that famous headband.  I am not sure if it was the heat, or pure adrenalin from running and capturing every obstacle, but one of us…it might have been me… said, “Hey, let’s finish strong by doing this one too.”  My husband looked back at me in shock, no pun intended, and said, “Seriously?”  Then he said, “Okay.”  And grabbed my hand and headed to the infamous target with hanging wires.

I stood for a moment in front of it and just soaked in the seriousness of the challenge.  In front of me was a large frame with wires hanging down and rows of hay laid perfectly in the way of my finish line.  My husband didn’t even hesitate and immediately interlocked his hands and put them in front of him to block the wires from his face and marched through as fast as he could.  He made it look so easy even though you could see the after affects of his body twitching with the wires touching his shoulders.

I decided to run right behind him and followed suit with my hands in front of me.  If he could do it, I could do it, right?  Almost halfway across I tripped on one of the hay bales as I got shocked and fell to the ground in a pathetic heap.  I decided that is where I would end it.  It was a good run.  They could turn off the wires when everyone left and then just come and get me.

My husband had completed the obstacle and turned around to find me in the middle of the hot wire mess.  What did he do?  Well, first he shook his head, then without hesitation he ran back into the “burning building of wires” to get me.  He grabbed my hand and half dragged/carried me out of the hot mess I got myself into. 

We made it, despite my unwilling body…

Yes, we made it through all of the obstacles, together.  And not once did my husband say, 'WHAT were you thinking when you wanted to do this?"  He just did it with me.  no complaints. 

He is my helpmate.  In spite of my crazy ideas.  Love this man ❤ Will I stop coming up with crazy ideas?  Nope, probably not.  But I can guarantee my husband will be by my side as we do them together.  That is love.  That is sacrifice.

 





Genesis 2:18

The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.

                                                      Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picking up papers off the floor...

  This may seem like a completely random topic but hang with me for a minute.  How many times have you walked past something in your house t...