Thursday, April 20, 2023

Benny in the morning...

 

I always said God knew we needed Benny, but I don’t think Carl, or I realized how much we would appreciate his unique character traits.  He is the most interesting Shih tzu we have ever owned and has a fascinating personality that keeps us on our toes every day.  Today I wanted to share one of what we are now calling “Bennyisms”



I am not a morning person, but our Benny certainly is!  If we all could share the excitement of a Benny in the morning it would be an interesting world!  When the alarm goes off, Benny comes running and he excitedly jumps onto our bed to wake everyone up. 

If Benny could speak, he would shout

‘IT’S MORNING TIME!’ ‘IT’S MORNING TIME!’  ‘EVERYONE GET UP!!’

He is so excited that he immediately rushes to Dad first and licks his face over and over to wake him up.  He knows Dad needs to be up first because Dad takes Benny out to do his business.  Once Dad rolls over and turns the alarm off Benny  then then scoots over and quietly looks at me. 

He sits about two inches from my face and waits for me to open my eyes.  I am awake but I keep my eyes closed.  I can feel his breath on my face as he waits patiently for me to open my eyes.  Every once in a while, he gently licks my forehead to get my attention and attempts to wake me.  He knows that the ‘Dad approach’ doesn’t work with the Mom.  When I finally open my eyes, he excitedly works his way across the bed to our other puppy Rocco who is sleeping under the covers.  Rocco is also not as excited as Benny about waking up in the morning and returns Benny’s nudges with a growl each time.  Benny doesn’t care and keeps nudging him until he comes out from the covers.  The routine is not complete until Rocco is up too.



Once everyone is awake and Dad has taken the pups outside, Benny comes rushing back to bed so he can bring a toy to play with as he waits for his morning treat.    After the puppies receive their morning treats, Benny settles down into the blankets and takes a small nap until the next event.  His job for the morning is done.  Everyone in the house is awake and up.


What a routine!

To be Benny.  To have that level of excitement.



Now don’t get me wrong, I am grateful to wake up each morning.  However, I don’t share the enthusiasm that Benny does.  It comes from his toes.  He is so excited to be up that if he could, I believe he would wake up the entire neighborhood! 

He LOVES morning time.  I honestly think it is his one of his top favorite times of the day next to dinner time and when the bark box arrives.  Morning time for Benny is a new day to discover new adventures, play with his toys, eat, bug Rocco, then nap, and run around some more, and then repeat.

Benny’s day isn’t any different than the day before.  He doesn’t have something new to look forward to.  However, he is always excited each morning to see ‘his people’ and be awake!

We could learn a lot from my Benny.


What if we looked at our day like Benny does?

Excitement and anticipation instead of dreading getting up.

We are given a specific number of days.  We should look at each of them with awe.  I get caught up in the daily grind so easily and forget the awe of life.  I needed Benny in my life to remind me that each day is filled with awe and can be an adventure, even if it is the same thing each day.


It can be an amazing day.

Make it an amazing day today 😊

 


Psalm 118:24

This is the day which the LORD hath made; We will rejoice and be glad in it.  

Psalms 30:5

For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.

Philippians 4:4 NIV

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

                                             Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picking up papers off the floor...

  This may seem like a completely random topic but hang with me for a minute.  How many times have you walked past something in your house t...