Thursday, October 28, 2021

Change and the Coffee Maker

 


Every morning my husband makes coffee for us as part of his daily routine.  I am blessed with a cup of coffee each day as one of the ways he shows his love to me.  As we get ready for the day, I often make him a second cup of coffee while he works with our team to plan the day.  I understand his love language is acts of service, so making coffee and cooking a warm meal at night is considered a blessing to him.



Recently I was making coffee for my husband as he got ready to go to work and our day changed.  I put the pod into the coffee maker like I do every day and hit the brew button.  The coffee maker then made a noise I had not heard before and then shut down.  I felt perplexed staring at the machine.  My perplexed feeling was like opening some mail addressed to me and finding the contents missing. 

Did I do something wrong?  I tried again.  Nothing.  I unplugged the machine and gave it a time out.  I waited a minute and plugged it in again and pushed the button.  Same results. 



At that moment you would think I gave up.  But no, I am too stubborn for that.  I unplugged the obstinate machine and waited five minutes.  Surely it would understand its time was growing short?  I plugged the machine back in and hit the button.  It made the same strange noise and then turned off.

I reluctantly informed my husband he wouldn’t have his warm brew to go and then made plans to purchase another machine.  I tried to look at the bright side.  At least we received our morning cup of coffee before the machine decided to quit on us.

I made some changes to my day and set out to replace the old machine.  When I arrived to the local store with a newly found coupon, I discovered the coffee machines have changed a lot since we last purchased one.  Change.  They looked different in every way and I knew this change was going to be a challenge to both my husband and myself.  Neither one of us liked change.  I made my choice and purchased a new coffee maker.



I brought the new machine home and took it out of the box.  The new machine was so fancy.  There was an app for your phone to brew from a distance if one chose to do so.  This new machine was smaller than our original one and the water reservoir seemed smaller as well.   Even though I read the box, I had to pour water from the new reservoir to the old coffee makers one.  Looks are deceiving because the new one actually held more water.  I was satisfied with my trial and set the new coffee maker in its spot.  After reading all the instructions and setting up an app on my phone, it happily made a hot cup of coffee without any complaints. 


Later that night my husband came home from work and in passing noticed the new coffee maker.
  “What the heck is this?” He asked.  I laughed from the other room because I knew what he was looking at.  “How do you like our new coffee machine? I asked.  He wasn’t amused and mentioned how much he loved change.  I smiled and agreed with his frustration.  I showed him how to use the new machine and mentioned how great it was compared to our last one.  Eventually, after a few days he agreed.  Having warm coffee each morning helped the sting of change.

Both of us have been struggling with many changes in our lives lately.  The many business changes, and now home changes with the coffee maker.  I felt a quiet reminder of Ecclesiastes 3.  Everything is going to change.  As much as we both would like things to stay the same, our Heavenly Father knows these changes are often best for our growth.  Change does sting at first.  I fight the sting and try to stay stagnant sometimes.  God gently reminds me each time that the change is necessary. 

How has change been for you today?  Are you fighting the sting as I did?  Let our Heavenly Father gently work in you to accept the changes as a positive thing and bringing you closer to Him.

 


Ecclesiastes 3

A Time for Everything

1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:

2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, 3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, 6 a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, 7 a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, 8a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.

Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...