Monday, October 11, 2021

Where is your heart?

Over the weekend I was struck by the many things that catch my attention every day.  Our business was at the top of my list due to emergencies and other tasks that had to be completed before the week was over.  As the work ebbed and flowed each day, I could take my focus off of the tasks and refocus on what was really important in my life. 

This scripture came to mind as the noise settled down around me. 

A still quiet voice asked me, “Where was my heart?”  I justified the voice by saying, “You Lord, are my focus.”  But was I being truthful to myself, or to Him? 


Where is my heart?  Where is my focus?  A driving force that moves us towards someone or something.  That is the tell-tale sign of where my treasure is.  The consuming drive to own something be around someone, or even collecting knowledge, can become my idols.  Anything that takes the place of God can be a deterrent to my walk with Him.

Some people are driven to sports or a particular team.  They will not let anything get in the way of watching their favorite individual play. 

Others it is politics that drives them to action.  A ‘news junkie’ so to speak.  That person can’t get away from any political event or person.  Their focus is daily on what is going on in the world and who is running it and why.

Possessions can be someone’s treasure as well.  That person collects items and sometimes hordes them to the point there is no more room in their home.

Now, work, sports, politics, or possessions are not bad by themselves.  However, when they become all-consuming above our Heavenly Father, then those things become the idols in our lives.  We need work to live and survive.  But when work takes over our lives where there is no room for God, then it becomes our idol.  Putting God first in our lives, help direct our paths in work and our hobbies.  He gives us the guidance to go the right way each day.


Where is your heart today?  Be consumed by His everlasting love for you.  How awesome is that the God of all creation created you and chose a purpose for you before you were even born?  Sit and reflect on that for a moment.   Then refocus and put Him first.  It is a daily mindset.  It takes work because the world will do whatever it takes to deter us.  The noise can be consuming.  We can stay focused on God and His will for us if we start and finish our days with His love for us in our minds.  

Dig deeper and seek His face and love for you.



Matthew 6:19-21 (NIV)

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Psalm 139:16 (NIV)

Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...