Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Cake Stories Part 1...

 


When I was younger my mother took a few classes on cake decorating and became the local ‘go to’ person for all kinds of cakes for any holiday.  She loved making cakes and the bonus was getting a little extra money for the family which was needed.  Over the years she taught me the many skills she learned.   Mom had arthritis and her hands would give in to the pain after a bit working with the decorating bags.  So, I would pick up where she left off and finish some of the cakes.  We made a good team.




When I moved out on my own, I became the proud owner of about 7-9 oversized plastic bins of cake decorating pans, supplies, and such.  When my kids were young, I also turned to the trade and started making all kinds of cakes and selling them for extra money.  Mom would help sometimes when she could.   The difference between me and my mother was that I would take on any new challenge where mom stuck to the basics in decorating.  One time I made a wedding cake for a couple that was so large we needed to purchase a piece of plywood to set it on.  The cakes were assembled on site and had multiple round tiers on each end that held a set of stairs and a running fountain in the middle.   I even colored the water in the fountain to match the cake colors. 




Again, overachiever…


Thinking back to the many cakes I created over the years, I realized my mother not only taught me a trade growing up, she taught me to do my best no matter what.  We never let a cake out of the door if it wasn’t up to our standards.  There were many times the icing was redone so it was acceptable to us. 

We both took pride in all the work we achieved.  I was taught at an early age; work ethics were very important.  Even when no one else was around.


I will share some of the more memorable stories in the next few blogs…

Stay tuned…


Colossians 3:23 (NIV)

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters,


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...