Saturday, November 27, 2021

Cake Stories part 3... The Wedding Cake

 


I am thankful for many positive things God has brought into my life.  I have to admit though, that I am not always thankful for the not-so-positive things.  I don’t always see the big picture that God sees.  That is where faith and trust come.  Sometimes the more difficult events in our lives are put in place to also give God the glory.  This story is one of those such events.

In the last two blogs I mentioned stories of cakes I have created over the years and the stories behind them.  This story is a bit different, but still has a cake as the ‘center piece’ so to speak.  During my first marriage I was asked by my mother-in-law to make her wedding cake for her up coming wedding.  I was a bit nervous because I wanted to bless her day but didn’t want it to turn into a difficult situation that could strain the family relationships.  However once again, I loved a good challenge, so I accepted the request.

The day of the wedding several cakes were baked and cooled on racks as the icing and other pieces were assembled.



The request was a blue and white flowered cake with tiers.  I purchased a fountain for the cake and tall pillars to be the centerpiece below with two tiers separated by more pillars, a cherub, and then two more tiers followed by the topper.  Two toned blue flowers, ribbons, and white icing brought the cake completely together.  The finished product was spectacular, and I was excited to share it with the new bride and groom.  Once again, I needed to complete the assembly onsite due to the size of the cake.

We took the separate cakes and placed them carefully into our old station wagon back area.  The extra back seats were pulled down and my then husband was going to sit with his mother’s cakes to ensure they stayed safe for the ride.  The kids were dressed for the wedding and buckled into the back seat ready to go.  I had all the pieces ready and was dressed for the occasion as well.  This was a bit different because normally I delivered the cake and went back home on my way.  This time I would be a part of the event as well as the cake deliverer.  We were on our way.

This sounds strangely familiar, doesn’t it?  As we headed down the road slowly, we entered the Interstate 490 and I felt fairly confident we were going to have no issues this time.  That is when it happened.

A car driving in front of us suddenly shifted and I saw their front drivers side tire sheer off its axle and as the car momentarily went forward, the tire took a reverse trajectory and headed straight for our windshield.  With all the traffic around all I could do is brace for the impact and yell, “Oh my God” over and over.

Then as if a blowing wind took over, the tire suddenly shifted its direction towards the right and blew past my windshield and landed on the side of the road away from anyone else behind me.   I watched the car in front of me drop from the lack of tire in the front and pull over away from the traffic as well. 

There was no logical reason that tire did not go through our windshield.  God’s hand was on our car and the entire scene that day.  The cake would have been the least of our worries.  The tire would have crashed through the windshield and taken out at least me and possibly the rest of the family as well.

After breathing many prayers of thanks, I loosened my grip on the steering wheel and we continued to our destination, family and cake unharmed.

I can still see the tread of the tire burning towards me in the air.  By the grace and mercy of God, it wasn’t our time.   I saw the hand of God that day.  All I could think about the rest of the day is how many times have I been saved by His Hand and I didn’t know it.  This was just one time He let me see His miracle. 

I will never stop telling of His miracles…

 


Psalm 9:1

I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...