Thursday, December 2, 2021

Cake Stories Part 4 - Gingerbread Houses

 


As we get closer to Christmas, I have one more cake story for you here.  Actually, a house story, gingerbread houses to be exact.   My mother made homemade gingerbread houses as well as cakes to sell for extra funds during my youth.  Each time we created these warm yummy deserts, it would be an experience of smells and tastes.  No two houses were ever alike.  That is what made them fun.  There was no ‘cookie cutter’ home.  No play on puns there…




So, when my mom handed down all the cake bins, the gingerbread recipe, and cut out forms were included.  I started down the road creating different cakes and then gingerbread houses for Christmas.  It became a tradition for our home when the kids were little and then grew into a small business for Christmas gifts since funds were short.  The holidays would begin with a flurry of baking the forms for each house.  The smell of gingerbread permeated throughout the house.  Christmas music was playing even though the Thanksgiving items were not securely put away yet.




The kids would gather around the houses as I decorated each one and added an upside-down ice cream cone decorated green for the trees and vanilla wafers for a small fence.  The yards were decorated with marshmallow snowmen and multicolored candies covered the entire house.  I would bake a few extra gingerbread men for the houses and any stray child that wanted to sample the goods.  Between the warm gingerbread and the candy in the house, each child was captivated by the process because they knew they might receive some of the extras left behind.

I began selling the houses to friends and neighbors for the holidays.  Then the process intensified, and a local restaurant wanted different sized gingerbread houses to sell to their customers for the holidays.  That was exciting and gave me the creative license to make new sizes and shapes for each customer. However, the small hobby became a distribution center as the customers from the restaurants wanted multiple houses and asked if I would ship them out of the state.  Sure, why not right?

Each year I would start earlier and earlier to get ahead of the orders and the process until one year I spent more time making and decorating houses than my own home.  I needed to stop even though it was financially working.  It was taking too much time away from my family and my home.

So one last year I let everyone know and packed away all my supplies for good.  It was a sad day, but everyone understood.  I only brought the supplies out for family times together from that point on.

Before my mom passed, we carried out all the supplies once again, and made a bunch of gingerbread houses so the new family and extended kids could be a part of the process.  Everyone loved the moment and once again gingerbread and candy permeated the air along with Christmas music, of course. 




Each year we make less gingerbread houses, but each time I bring out the supplies it brings me right back to when mom and I were in the kitchen.  We made it happen no matter how much room we had.  When I smell gingerbread during the holidays it reminds me of the many experiences I shared with my mother, customers, and my family.  Happy times and a bit of craziness here and there, but so worth it.

What are your family traditions that took a turn or you still do each year?

Proverbs 31:15 (NIV)

She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Picking up papers off the floor...

  This may seem like a completely random topic but hang with me for a minute.  How many times have you walked past something in your house t...