Thursday, April 28, 2022

Teachable moments...


 

God uses the smallest and sometimes painful lessons to be teachable moments.  Have you ever done something that you really don’t want to share but is a teachable lesson for your children or friends?  I am going to share one of those stories.  Please give me grace here…

Many seasons ago when my children were young, I operated a home daycare along with homeschooling my three.  I had a lot more energy back then, in case you are wondering how…  Each day would begin by setting up the daycare equipment before the kids would arrive.  Then the meal planning would ensue.  I fed five plus my three multiple times during the day.  I had a daily schedule on the refrigerator to keep things in order and forced a bit of variety.  I would plan a week of meals in advance and have them ready to go when the kids arrived.

One afternoon I was running late, and I didn’t leave enough time for my hamburgers to thaw before separating and cooking them for lunch.  As the kids were sitting at the table doing an activity waiting on me, I grabbed a steak knife and proceeded to separate the burgers.  As I was holding the knife, a fleeting thought of – ‘I better be careful – this probably isn’t a good idea’ crossed my mind.

Then I slipped with the knife, and it went through the hamburger and into my hand.   The bone in my hand stopped the knife.   For a minute I thought it was okay because I didn’t feel any pain. 

Then I felt it…

The sharp pain was intense.  I grabbed a dishcloth and wrapped my hand for a minute and let my oldest know he was going to finish making the burgers while I addressed the issue at hand. 

Sorry for the pun…

The good news is that I didn’t need stitches and by fate, the cut followed the line in my hand, so the scar just accentuated the line. 

That was a painful lesson for me but also a teachable moment for my kids.  The kids were told that day to never to do what I just did.  I was determined to take my own advice going forward and never used a steak knife again to separate frozen meat.

The dull ache lasted for days.  Many days later as I stared at the scar on my palm, I meditated on what Jesus did for me on that cross. I can’t begin to imagine how painful that was for Him. 

And He did it for you and me…

Today I have a small reminder of what He did for me on the cross when I look at my hand.

Sometimes scars are long term lessons in life.  My scar is a teachable moment and reminder of His love for me.

Job 6:24 (NIV)

“Teach me, and I will be quiet; show me where I have been wrong.

Psalms 119:33 (NIV)

Teach me, Lord, the way of your decrees, that I may follow it to the end.

Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picking up papers off the floor...

  This may seem like a completely random topic but hang with me for a minute.  How many times have you walked past something in your house t...