Sunday, May 1, 2022

Mother's Day

 


I have mixed emotions over Mother’s Day every year.  As a mom, I struggle with being the best I can for our grown kids.  I know I fall short daily, but by the grace of God, I get back up and keep trying.  There is no perfect mom, or person.  My perfectionism comes to play often as I try to be that ideal mom and wife.  That is my pride getting in the way.  God reminds me through my lessons that I am not perfect and that’s okay.  He holds the bar to strive towards in our weakness with His help.  Only God is perfect.

Only God.

Then I think of my mom during this time of year.  I realized after many years that I was hard on her because my expectations were higher than she could reach.  I wanted the June Cleaver mom who had all the right things to say and do.  I am sure I am dating myself again with this reference, but you get it.

Remember there is no perfect person.  She could only do what she was taught by her parents.  Did she do everything right?  No.  But she did the best she could for us.  And when she couldn’t do any more, I picked up the slack and helped her through the years.   That is what God wanted me to do.  Not to compare her with other moms, just be there for my mom.  I am so glad I could be there for her when she needed me most.

Hindsight is 20/20 – right?

Mom has been dining with Jesus for 10 years now.  I know she is transformed and pain free today.  I can’t wait to have that new conversation with her when I get there.  What a glorious day that will be!

In the meantime, my advice is to give your mom a break today.

Give your mom a hug. 

Give your mom grace today.   

And if you are a mom, give yourself grace today too.   He gives it freely for you as well.  Take time for you today and reflect on His love for you.  Let Him fill your cup.

 

Exodus 20:12 (NIV)

“Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

Psalms 29:11 (NIV)

The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Picking up papers off the floor...

  This may seem like a completely random topic but hang with me for a minute.  How many times have you walked past something in your house t...