Friday, May 13, 2022

Persistence...


Spring is here and the robins are busy preparing their nests for eggs.  I personally get excited for the warm weather, trees budding, and flowers blooming all over.  This spring I learned a lesson from an unlikely small source. 

A robin.

My husband went outside one morning to our barn and found traces of a nest being built in the overhang.  We love nature, but not so close to the barn.  So, that morning my husband apologized to the robin and proceeded to take the nest down and clean up the mess.  Well, in full disclosure, I don’t think he apologized to the robin.  I might have if I was out there with him.

The very next day, the nest was back in the same spot under the overhand.  My husband once again took the nest down and cleaned up the debris. 

The third day he greeted the robin before work and let her know there was no room at the barn for her nest.  He removed it once again.  She wasn’t too happy but flew away to a nearby tree.

When my husband came home from work he went out to the barn. Guess what he saw? 

Another nest.  She is a persistent bird, but my husband is more stubborn.

After a week or so, the daily ritual of removing the nests ended.  She found another place for her new home and the battle was over.

The weeks activities made me pause and think about two things…

1.     How persistent was that robin?  How could we learn from her persistence?  What if we sought life or God with the same never-ending persistence?  How far would we be in life?  How far would our walk be with Him?

2.     How stubborn was that robin? She could make a nest anywhere but chose to make one in a place that wasn’t welcome.  Are we doing things in our own strength that God does not want us to do?  Can we learn to take our tools and build in another area God is calling us to go?

Just a few thoughts for a Friday…

 

Jeremiah 29:13 (NIV)

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Proverbs 1:7 (NIV)

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and instruction.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Picking up papers off the floor...

  This may seem like a completely random topic but hang with me for a minute.  How many times have you walked past something in your house t...