Friday, June 17, 2022

Today's encouragment...

 

 

Have you ever been picked last in a game when you were a kid?          

I have. 

I wasn’t part of the popular crowd.  I was an outsider for most of school due to moving every two to four years.  Getting picked last was the norm for me.   It is not a very good feeling at the time.  As I got older, I realized that was a small part of my life and being picked last wasn’t the end of the world.   It did leave an impression on me though. 

Today I go out of my way to reach people others may ignore.  I am very sensitive to those who are not in high positions.  I try to start up a conversation with the wait staff at the restaurants we go to.  I go out of my way to say hi to the janitor or cleaning staff in a building.  I know how it felt to be ignored.  I want them to know they matter and are special in God’s eyes.  I let God use me to remind them.

I went to an event recently that seating was not assigned.  I didn’t mind and stood in the line waiting our turn to go into the event room.  I knew, no matter where I sat, I would see and hear the musicians.  WE stood in the line and walked into the room with another couple.  They took that moment together to share what they observed throughout the weekend. 

They saw people running in the room towards the front and grabbing seats as fast as they could.  Grown adults pushing and running to be first.  I was a bit surprised because this was a Christian event.  I guess selfishness is rampant in the church as it is in the world.  I sat and thought about that for a minute.  

While I was thinking the same woman said to me, “Wouldn’t it be amazing if after everyone came rushing into the front, the main stage moved to the back and the last were suddenly the first?” 

I laughed out loud at the thought.  Then I went back to my own thoughts and wondered is this what Jesus meant when he said, “Anyone who wants to be first must first be the very last.” 

So, my thought for today is if you are feeling left out, take heart, God notices, and the last will be the first.  Our crowns and prestige come from someone much higher than this world.  Never forget whose you are.  You are a child of the King, a chosen people, God’s special possession...

 

Mark 9:35 (NIV)

Sitting down, Jesus called the Twelve and said, “Anyone who wants to be first must be the very last, and the servant of all.”

James 1:12 (NIV)

Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.

Ephesians 2:10 (NIV)

For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

1 Peter 2:9 (NIV)

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...