Thursday, October 13, 2022

Fall colors of change...


I love this saying:  

The trees are about to show us how lovely it is to let things go.

 

I love Fall and watching all the change of colors on the trees and bushes. The beautiful colors that blanket New York can be breathtaking.  This year seems to be more colorful than previous years. 

Maybe it’s me. Maybe I am finally taking the break to see the colors.

I also have mixed feelings about Fall because I know winter is right around the corner.  For us in the upstate, winter can be brutal at times.  Mind you, I love snow. 

Well, actually I really hate the cold and doing anything that requires me to wear several layers of clothes.  But I do love looking from my window as the landscape is blanketed by a soft snowfall during Christmastime.  I am definitely not a fan of driving in it or shoveling it out of my way.  Once Spring comes back to town, I am excited to see the flowers and leaves once again after a long winter.

The one constant in our lives is change. 

Agreeing with change does not mean we walk away from the foundation that God gave us.  Accepting change means we are letting God work in and through us.  Change means we allow God to add or remove things, people, or our plans so that He can accomplish His ultimate plan for our lives. 

Solomon knew about change when he wrote Ecclesiastes. 

Nothing can stop time from marching on.  Except God.  Remember that story about how God stopped the sun from setting? 

 

Joshua 10:12-14

On the day the Lord gave the Amorites over to Israel, Joshua said to the Lord in the presence of Israel: “Sun, stand still over Gibeon, and you, moon, over the Valley of Aijalon.” So the sun stood still, and the moon stopped, till the nation avenged itself on its enemies, as it is written in the Book of Jashar. The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day. There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the Lord listened to a human being. Surely the Lord was fighting for Israel!


Now that is my kind of God!  One that not only created the universe, but One that can stop the sun in its tracks!


Each day - time marches on with change.  We can take it one of three ways.


Ignore it.


Stick our heads in the sand like this ostrich and pretend it is not happening.  When I ignore change, I end up frustrated by its sudden knock on my door.


Fight it.


This picture says it all.  Fighting change is probably the most unproductive way to live our lives.  I am not saying I haven’t fought change in the past.  I have and often continue to fight change.  My prayer life helps me to see things in God’s perspective and not my own.  


Embrace it.



Embrace God’s plan for your life.  We can make a plan, but God determines our steps, remember?  God sees the beginning from the end of our lives.  We should trust He knows what is best for us.  When we allow God to change things in our life, we are giving our will over to His plans.  Remember the picture at the top?  Without the falling of the leaves, new growth can’t happen in the Spring.  Let God bring change in your life to create something even better.

---------------------------------- 

Today ask God to help you embrace change knowing you have an All-knowing God who can handle it.

 

Ecclesiastes 3:1-11

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. What do workers gain from their toil? He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race.

 

Proverbs 16:9

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps.

 

 

Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...