Friday, October 21, 2022

Thankful in the waiting...

 



Waiting is not one of my strong suits.  Patience is one of the fruits of the spirit.  Honestly, it is one of the last ones I ask for from our Father.   Have you heard when you pray for patience, God gives you a trial to build patience in you?

I know, you don’t need to ask for patience for God to work it in you.  I also know that God knows what we need and often brings us the trials to build us and bring us closer to Him.  We are being refined in the fire.  A diamond is not created without pressure on all sides of a piece of coal.



During the trials in my life, I have learned to step aside and spend time with my Father.  Once I ‘get away’ from the noise around me I can then start to think logically.  I refocus my thoughts to what I am thankful for.  When you look at a difficult situation in thankful terms, it becomes easier to swallow the bitter pill of the trial you are experiencing.

We may have no control over the trials and tragedies in our lives, but we have control over our thoughts and actions.  When I was younger in my faith it was easy to ‘react’ and justify my reactions.  Slowly the Lord has worked in me to pause, pray, then move forward.  Being thankful for the little things around me helps my ‘knee jerk’ reaction.  In the grand scheme of things, life can always be worse. 

When I feel overwhelmed or frustrated, I take a breath.  What can I be thankful for today?  It may not be what I am going through. However, I can be thankful for other things.  Here are just a few I remind myself:




My Salvation – I know how the book will end.  All will be resolved, and I will have eternal life with my Father in Heaven.

My husband – who is there for me in this crazy world we live in.

My health – it could always be worse.

My puppies – who make me laugh daily.

My sight – to see God’s beautiful creation around me

A roof over my head – there were days when I didn’t have one.

Money to buy gas – I remember counting change to fill my tank….  And not that long ago

Friends – Who are always there to stand in the gap and pray for us.

You – I am thankful for you! For hanging with me and listening to my ramblings weekly.


I could go on forever here…

So, when the trials hit, and they will, sit with me and write your thankful list.  It may not be about your trial. But we will always have something to be thankful for in the waiting…

 

 

1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV)

give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 4:2 (NIV)

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.

Psalms 106:1 (NIV)

Praise the Lord. Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.

2 Corinthians 9:15 (NIV)

Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

Ephesians 5:20 (NIV)

always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.


Philippians 1:3 (NIV)

I thank my God every time I remember you.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...