Thursday, November 3, 2022

Peace with those who want conflict


Have you ever been in a
situation - where no matter what you do, someone doesn’t like you? You can bend over backwards, but it is either never enough, or they strike out towards you and like a wasp attack it seems to come out of nowhere.
 

If you haven’t experienced this yet, you will. There will be that person in your life that strikes out when least expected. What you must remember is - it is not always you. They may be angry about something else. The enemy may be getting in their head. Everyone has something going on in their lives. You are just the closest one to them at the time.  They might be dealing with their own demons of envy, guilt, or you just remind them of someone that hurt them. 


Not everyone is going to like you, no matter what you do. We deal with difficult customers every week in our business. What I have noticed is that during 2020, our customers were more patient and understanding. Afterall, everyone was dealing with the effects of covid in one way or another. Then during 2021, I saw an uptick of frustrated customers with less patience. This was normal because there is always a percentage of people you cannot please no matter what you do. It happens. 


However, during this year we have noticed a growing undertone of anger from our customers. Not every customer, but a larger percentage of frustrated ones compared to previous years. What is sad is that we have had to fire more customers this year than ever before. They would call the office and demand service or try to pick a fight before we even came on site to assist with their problem. When that happens, we let them know that we are just not a good fit, and they would be happier if they went to another company. It defuses some, but not all.  


You may never know why the attack occurs. This is between them and God. Our job is just to pray for them and for our situation. It is not your job to ‘get’ everyone to like you. Let God handle them. Let God work in them. You don’t need to resolve every issue that comes up against you. Sometimes you just need to leave the disagreement. 


A quick example is my husband and myself. He had a very difficult marriage before we met. His first reaction was to argue until it became a verbal duel when things were difficult. That is what they did. Was it effective? No, but that is how they handled disagreements. When we started dating and an issue came up, he would go back to old habits and try to fight with me. My first reaction was to jump into the argument. My stubborn nature would take over and I would jump right into the battle.  


After a few verbal battles, I realized it was not healthy for either of us. So, I would walk away when it escalated and refuse to continue the argument until we both calmed down. My husband's first reaction to my change was to get angry. He wanted to fight. However, it is hard to fight with someone who refuses to argue. It is like taking oxygen out of a room that is on fire. The fire dies down. When I changed my behavior and walked away and prayed, God began to work in my husband’s heart. He would then come back, and we would resolve the issue at hand. Most times the problem or disagreement was easily resolved with both of us having level heads. 


That is why God tells us to pray for our enemies. Sometimes we need to have His perspective of those around us. Sometimes my thoughts about the situation are distorted due to my own anger. Stepping away helps me to pray for the person and let God work in me as well. This eternal perspective can change my views and stubborn nature. 



So, the next time a blind attack comes your way, think about what we learned as kids – stop, drop, and roll. Stop what you are doing. Drop to your knees in prayer. And roll with what God tells you to do :) 




 

Matthew 5:44 (NIV) 

But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 

 

Romans 12: 17-21 

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” says the Lord. On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. 


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...