Thursday, September 7, 2023

Be Still.


 

Sometimes we just need to Be Still.  When the waves are surrounding us, and the storm is upon us.  We just need to Be Still and hear His voice.  Stop trying to Fix it ourselves.  Just Be Still.

I was lying in bed one evening praying and petitioning God to fix something.  In my mind it was a huge dilemma and needed immediate attention, so I was asking God to intervene, immediately.

Let me be honest here. I was giving God my thoughts on how I could fix it.  I had a running list in my head and I kept adding new things to that list.  “What about this God?” and “What if I did That instead?”  “What do You think?”

Then I heard – Be Still.

So, I did.

Then a picture of the Sistine Chapel came to my mind.

 



And then Michelangelo’s Creation of Adam.

 



Wow Lord those are awesome and beyond my comprehension.  I can’t imagine painting something so beautiful.  I don’t have that kind of talent.  Michelangelo is one of the great artists in our history.


That’s when God spoke quietly to me.  Those ‘great’ masterpieces?  They are like your child’s artwork from school to Me.


He then reminded me how He breathed life into Adam.

How He breathed life into dry bones.




How He created EVERYTHING I see around me - from nothing.

The Sistine Chapel paled in comparison.


What took Michelangelo four years to create is beautiful, but nothing compared to what God created in 6 days.  God’s creation is a Masterpiece.

Why do I constantly compare what I see to what God can do?  He can do so much more than my finite mind can imagine.  If He can wipe out the earth with a storm and recreate it after a rainbow, why am I surprised when He does a miracle in my life?  Am I too small for God to notice?

Are you?

No, you are not.

I bring my ‘artwork’ to God and say, ‘See what I made?’  I am sure He smiles like we do at our children. Then He takes it and makes it into a masterpiece.  We just need to let it go and let Him do the work.

We need to Be Still.



After spending that moment with my Father I fell into a deep sleep and let it go.  I haven’t slept that good in a long time.  I let it go.  For that night.  I am human and I will pick it back up again.  I will have to let it go again after His quiet reminder.  It is my daily lesson.  It is why I have those two words tattooed on my wrist to remind me every day.

I need to Be Still.

He is Bigger.  His timing is Better.

 


He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

Psalms 46:10 NIV

 

The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.”

Exodus 14:14 NIV


Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they

may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all

the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” So God

created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and

female he created them.

Genesis 1:26-27 


I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord .’ ”

Ezekiel 37:6 NIV

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.

Proverbs 3:5-6

 

For more about Michelangelo's Creation of Adam & the Sistine Chapel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Creation_of_Adam

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sistine_Chapel_ceiling


                                                           Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...