Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Being Thankful...

 

The month of November moves my thoughts to being thankful.  I try to spend most days thanking God for the many blessings in my life.  However, it is easy sometimes to get caught up in the noise around me and forget all the blessings I have received over the years. 

I have so much to be thankful for.  My family, our business, and the ministry my husband and I belong to.  Each on its own is a cup filled with blessings.  Together they are a reminder of God’s grace. The other day reminded me of that fact. 




I got up and did my normal routine as the puppies wandered around my feet looking for some cuddles.  As the staff came in for the day, I ran around getting everything ready for the big event.  We planned on blessing some of the largest companies that give our business referrals throughout the year.  I have wanted to do this event for many years but didn’t have the bandwidth to do so.  My excitement was like wrapping Christmas gifts the night before in anticipation of the recipient’s response.  My incredible ‘partner in crime’ assistant had worked diligently to create a personalized thank you note for each vendor.  We had a bag of goodies to hand out.  We only needed to pick up the dozen donuts for each vendor at the local donut place.  We planned on taping the thank you card to each box and then driving around town to share the joy.  We wanted each business to be blessed as they had blessed us with so many referrals over the years.  If this event went as expected, we could set it in motion for the following years.

We jumped into the car and headed down the street to the donut shop.  The woman behind the counter was exceptionally friendly even though we basically wiped out their selections.  I was grateful for her joyful countenance.  I tried to feed my partner in crime some donuts, but to no avail.  Side note here, I am a feeder and when there is an opportunity, I jump on it to help others from starvation.

We left with the many boxes of sweet goodness and headed to our first stop.  As we pulled in, a bit of anxiety came upon me.  Once again, I had decided to go where no man or woman has gone before.  That’s what I do.  I pulled it together and asked God to give me the courage to just ‘do it’.  He did.  We walked into the shop and was greeted by the friendliest people.  I am sure carrying donuts helped a little. 

The look on their faces was priceless.  They were blessed by our small gesture and the owner took some time to speak to us about the business and the past year.  He mentioned that he would continue to give our cards out and we thanked him again for all of his efforts.

After that first visit, the remaining visits became easier.  Each recipient was excited to not only receive the box of donuts, but to also share this past year’s business with us.  We shared the ups and downs from 2020.  Each person had a story to tell and was grateful to have someone who understood the back end of the business. 

When we completed our last mission, we proceeded to head towards home.  I felt blessed by everyone’s warm welcome and thanks.  I believed I got more out of this event than I expected.  I felt so fortunate to be able to do this event. 




Then when I thought the blessing was over, God stepped in and filled my cup even more.  We were driving towards home, and I realized we were close to a Christian bookstore that is normally a trip for me to visit.  I overrode my GPS and headed straight for the store. 

When I walked into the store I was surrounded by His peace.  Each time I walk in I feel His presence and encouragement by the many items that point me to my Heavenly Father.  I had stopped in to speak to the staff for a minute and then pick up some Christmas cards. 

As I shared with the staff my newest project, which was a book I had just wrote, they were more receptive than I expected.  I was humbled by their assistance.  Then as we continued to talk, I realized there was more of a connection between us than we originally thought.  One of the staff had purchased my in-laws home many years ago and knew my husband’s family very well.  We shared the blessing of this knowledge and I shared how my husband was now saved and we were in a marriage ministry together.  The woman who shared her story was blessed by our encounter.  I was blessed by the entire day.  My husband was blessed to hear the entire story later.




How many things do you have to be thankful for today?  Think about the little daily events.  How many has our Heavenly Father graced you with? 


Psalms 100:4 (NIV)

Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.

Ephesians 5:20 (NIV)

always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...