Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Changing love languages...

 



If you read the book The Five Languages by Gary Chapman, you can discover your mates love language and help deepen your communication level.  I have learned through this process that often love languages are not the same between spouses.



 

For my husband, his is acts of service. He feels blessed when I cook him dinner each night or pick up something that was on his ‘to do’ list. 

My love language is words of encouragement. When Carl shares with me how he feels about something I did or uplifts me during the day with a quick text – I feel blessed like a bright sunshiny day.

Now if Carl tries to use ‘his’ love language to lift me up – the results are not as favorable.  It’s not that I don’t appreciate when he helps around the house or does something for me – but I feel more inspired when he pours words of encouragement into my spirit.

However – this past weekend – things changed.




I ate a tainted meal and my stomach decided to remove what I placed in it throughout the night.

My husband and I needed to do two presentations first thing the following morning.  After being up all night, my energy level was at a 1.2.  We managed to pull it together and pressed on to complete our presentations.  I stayed away from any food or drinks because I didn’t want to have to leave the front room in a rush and scare everyone else in the proce4ss.

After lunch – my me but my husband – we had a small break to regroup.  We took the elevator to the lobby and sought out some medication in the hotel store.  Sadly, they didn’t have anything I needed. However, the woman at the shop mentioned there was a pharmacy two lights down the road. 

I was going to take the walk with my husband – but my stomach disagreed and overruled the decision.  My husband said he could take the trip by foot and be back in time for the next presentation.  So off he went, and I went back to our room and laid down to get some rest.

I woke up about ½ hour later realizing he wasn’t back yet. I went to pick up the phone and call him but realized he also left his phone in the room.  Panic set in as I went on my phone to look up the closest pharmacy and suddenly realized it wasn’t a couple lights away, but a mile away.  We didn’t have a car and my husband was on foot, with no phone or watch in an unfamiliar area.  Oh, and by the way, it was a fairly warm day in that town, and he was wearing a long sleeve shirt thinking he was only going to be a few minutes.

After almost 45 minutes later I headed towards the elevator to go downstairs and let everyone know we were going to be late.  I was suddenly greeted by a very tired and hot husband when the elevator doors opened.  He had traveled the mile to the store and back.  He had realized how far away it was but still pressed on until he conquered the medication I needed.  I was so glad to see him.

Words of encouragement were not going to help me that day.  No amount of praise would help my stomach feel better.  I desperately needed my husband’s acts of service.  I was so grateful for his loving gesture that helped me through the rest of the day.

I wasn’t able to eat again till the following day, but my stomach started the healing process with the new meds. 

Never forget, a love language can change in an instant depending on your situation. 


I am also so grateful for my husband…

 


 

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails.

https://www.5lovelanguages.com/


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...