Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Complicating life...

 


Many of my stories are lessons from God I have experienced.  This one is no different.  Some lessons are more painful than others.  It often depends on how strong willed I am towards the change.  I can be a tad stubborn at times. 

Thanking God for His mercy and patience with me…

I have been working on a new book and felt stuck the last few months.  I thought I knew where God was leading me in my writing.  What I didn’t realize was - I had been overthinking God’s direction.   After a few days of prayer this past weekend, I was given a word picture that explained my overthinking. 

God is so good to give us what we need exactly when we need it.  Right?

In my word picture - I was riding down a road on a bicycle.   As I was riding along, my tire caught a string that was laying in the road. I didn’t notice the string until the tire wouldn’t move and I my bike suddenly came to a halt.  Funny how a small string can bring a perfectly working machine to a stop. 

The tire was my momentum and the direction God sent me.

The string was my overthinking the direction and slowing me down. It was also a distraction and taking my focus off the goal which was getting down the road where God wanted me.

The lesson: I was overcomplicating my direction from God.  I was trying to write in a way that wasn’t me.  God called me to write.  He wants me to keep it simple.  His Gospel is very simple, but very profound.  John 3:16. My writing doesn’t need to be different.  I just need to trust Him in the process, and He will give me the direction.

Are you overthinking or complicating God’s direction in your life?  If so, get off the bike for a moment and release the string.  It wasn’t yours to pick up in the first place. 

Refocus on His direction.  Sit and be still for a moment.  Be more like Mary and listen to His voice today.

 

Luke 10:40 (NIV)

But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...