Thursday, July 14, 2022

Bad day....?

 

Sometimes no matter what we do, things around us have a way of ‘happening’.  Today was one of those days.  Let me share with you, my morning.  Maybe you can relate?

It started like every other Thursday.  The team came in to start the day and my husband wanted to help by moving a printer we replaced yesterday.  The old one was not working as designed but still had some use, so we were going to move it to the office downstairs.  He picked up the large printer and carried it downstairs. 

Then I heard a flurry of activity and comments I won’t repeat.  Carl came running upstairs and said it was leaking.  LEAKING?  What does that even mean?

 



Well for some reason the secured black ink cartridge inside of the printer decided to ‘bleed’ all over the place while he moved the printer downstairs.  There was black ink everywhere. 

On the rugs.  On the floor.  All down the stairs.  On the shelf where he had placed it for safe keeping.  He took it off the shelf when he noticed the ink on his new jeans and his sock.  Then the printer in grand fashion continued to ‘leak’ all over the floor at his feet.

And then we saw the paper jam in the back.  The printer never gave us a warning or error code that it was experiencing any issues.  It just sat jammed and kept printing without any warning.  So, now papers from the back were hanging out of the printer and they were also covered in black ink. 

As we frantically worked on the mess, I could only look at the bright side and say to myself, “At least it wasn’t poop.”  Right?  Bright side always.

Clearly the printer had no intention of working anymore so we prepared it for disposal. Well, after the mess was cleaned up and the printer was secured in a garbage bag, the guys left for the jobsite to start their day. 

 

That would be enough to unsettle anyone’s day.  

But there was more…

 

An hour or so later I took the puppies out to do their business and take some tags off a couple trees we just planted.  They followed me from tree to tree just making sure everything was secure and smelled every spot they could.

After I completed my chore, I turned around to head back to the house and witnessed one of our puppies rolling in something.  I yelled and he immediately jumped up gave me a guilty look.  It was Rocco.  He is our bright white Maltese. 

Well, he was our bright white Maltese.

Rocco was now covered in poop.  He was no longer our white puppy but currently a multicolored mess.



Remember the bright side I was trying to maintain?  Well, it was officially a poop show.  I had to pick him up and gently open the door to carry him to the sink for a bath.  As I bathed him, I tried not to gag because he was completely covered in some unknown animal’s poop. 


SERIOUSLY…  What a way to start a Thursday.

 

So, what can we do when the proverbial “schtuff” hits the fan in our day?  I could sit and feel frustrated and let it ruin the rest of my day.  I mean seriously, how much can happen before noon on a Thursday??  Instead, I chose to sit down and write. 

The first thing that came to my mind was Job 2:10

He replied, “You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?” In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.

Yes Lord, it is all about perspective…

As I wrote the story above, I thought a few verses of encouragement.  I want to share them with you as we all have bad days occasionally. 

 

Pause...



Sometimes we need to just take a breath.
  Breathe in and breathe out.  Remember you can go directly to the Father and just sit like Mary did.  God understands our humanness and how things can be overwhelming when it comes in waves.

Matthew 11:28  

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”

Get out of your head.  As I wrote someone sent me a devotional titled: Get out of your Head.  Wow that was timely!  We need to take every thought captive and not let the enemy get in our head.

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

2 Corinthians 10:5

 

 

Put your hand on your heart…



Remind yourself that you are alive.  Reflect on this moment.  You have breath and this is just a day, not a bad life.

Proverbs 4:23  

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.

 


Look up…




Raise you eyes up to the sky.   Remember who created everything around and above you.  He is in control.  He is greater than who is trying to distract you today.

Job 35:5

Look up at the heavens and see; gaze at the clouds so high above you.

1 John 4:4

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

 


Read God’s promises…



Open your bible and read His promises.  Remember no matter how difficult today is, we know how the Book ends!  We win!  Gods got this!

Psalms 77:12 (NIV)

I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.”

 


Remember His faithfulness…


Remember what God has done for you. Think back to how faithful He has been in your life.  I could sit and write for hours on how great His faithfulness is!  Take a moment to reflect on the great things He has done in your life.

Psalms 77:11 (NIV)

I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.

 


Reach out…



Help someone else in need.  That is the quickest way to get out of your own head.  We need to reach out to others who don’t know how awesome our God is and share His love.  We also need to help our brothers and sisters in Christ.  They need encouragement daily too.

Ecclesiastes 4:10 (NIV)

If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hold on to these thoughts as I pray your Thursday is a bit better than mine started.  Remember, it’s all about perspective!


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...