Friday, July 29, 2022

Distractions...



Have you ever walked into a room and forgot why you went there?  Or is that just me?

My husband and I attended a United Marriage Encounter event this past week and were blessed as we poured into other couples throughout the event.  However, the enemy was up to his old tricks and tried to distract us from the blessings.

The enemy does not have new ideas, only old reusable tricks.  He knows which buttons to push.  He just keeps pushing them over and over until we are distracted by the problem and not God. We just need to be aware of them and prepare for the battle.  Here are a few of my buttons the enemy likes to push.  Maybe you can relate to a couple…

Sleep



If sleep was a love language, it would be on the top of my list.  I need a good night’s sleep to function at the level I push myself daily.  When I am unable to get enough sleep, my patience and logical skills decline.  When my husband and I arrived from driving 10 hours to our UME event, I needed to eat and then go to bed to recover.  The first night was great.  The second night was another story. 

My husband woke up at midnight and decided the air conditioning in our hotel room was not sufficient.  He then turned his flashlight on his phone and began to look up ways to override the thermostat.  He accidentally started the heat and I woke up to the light and a smell that made me believe the room was burning.  After a bit….a long while, he gave up and put a hot washcloth over the thermostat to fake it out and the temperature dropped.  (More HVAC tips in another story…)

Then he climbed back into bed and fell right back to sleep. 

I did not.  The next morning came quickly, and I pushed through with little patience and a lot of prayers.  I could have let the situation rob our witness.  Instead, I prayed fort he strength to get through the day.  I knew what was happening.  Sometimes I miss the attack and   That night we went to bed early and we got some much-needed rest.

 

Attacks in the family



Our kids are also another button the enemy uses against us. The enemy is trying to distract us through our adult children.  We have struggled with some who have walked away from the Lord and some who we pray will come to a saving knowledge of Jesus.  In the meantime, there have been disagreements and division.  It breaks my heart.  I want to ‘fix’ it all.  I know I can’t and it is in His hands.  However, that doesn’t stop me from trying in my own strength and letting the process rob my joy.  It is so hard when it is your family, and the enemy knows that and uses it to distract.

When we finally shared with several other couples during our UME event, we realized that the enemy is doing the Exact same thing in their lives.   Again, the enemies’ tactics are not new, just efficient.  So instead of fretting, we all came together and started storming the gates with prayer.  We can also pray specifically for each other with this new revelation.

 

Gnats (small annoying issues)



These are the small trivial things that come into our lives and surround us like mosquitoes.  For example, one that came today took over an hour to resolve.  We needed a missing receipt to confirm what warranty was available for a part.  The woman in the office and I searched everywhere through files and emails until it was finally found.  One hour of wasted time for something small that distracted us from what we were originally working on. 

For me, it was this blog.  Funny how the enemy works huh…?

We are distracted by so many things in our lives.  Some are large, but often many are insignificant gnats.  How do we handle the distractions?  First and foremost, keep your eyes up and focused on the One that can resolve it all.  Remember, we know how the book ends.  The enemy would like nothing better than to distract us from what God is calling us to do or be.

Next, expect the head winds.  You know you are often going in the right direction when the attacks occur.  Get on your knees and pray.  Cling to the All-Knowing God who knows the beginning from the end.  He has big shoulders and can carry your burdens. 

Focus your eyes on Him, not the attacks. 

Stand with me in prayer for the saints that are going through daily attacks.

 


Colossians 3:2

Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.

1 Peter 5:8

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Ephesians 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...