Friday, September 2, 2022

Pause and Pray

 


Have you ever been in a situation where you wanted to react in haste?  I like to call it my ‘knee-jerk’ reaction.  You know, when you hit the part of your knee and it forces your leg to shoot forward?  I have done this often over my lifetime. 



Someone cuts you off while driving – you do…?


An acquaintance arrives late for a meeting – you say…?


You answer the phone to an angry customer, again – you say…?


You call for the umpteenth time to get a resolution to something you cannot do by yourself and are told the same answer, they will call back. – you say….?


One of your kids drops/breaks/spills something – you….?




I have to be honest and say I have not always reacted the best to some of these examples above.   Sometimes it is because I am tired/sick and my patience is thin.  Other times, I have assumed what was going on when I had no clue.  Either way, I needed to step back and then do the ‘pause and pray’


Pause – Take a deep breath.  Remember this is just one event, and not forever.  Taking a breath refocuses your mind.  When I get upset, I often take shorter breaths.  Take deep breaths and concentrate on your breathing.  It can calm most moments.


Pray – Always take a moment to pray.  Praying refocuses your heart.  When I do take the time to pray, I hear the still small voice of the Holy Spirit telling me how to respond.  I am then responding in the Spirit, and not my flesh. When I take the time to say even a small prayer before I speak or do something, I am happier with my response.  I have more peace in the process.  If possible, reach out to others to pray with you.  


Remember where two or more are gathered…



Next time you feel rushed to act, remember to pause and pray.  Then act or speak with the wisdom of the Holy Spirit within you.  He will give you direction and clarity.  Remember the enemy rushes you when God stills your heart.  It is a work in process for me…but with His help I am doing a bit better each day.

 


Matthew 18:20 (NIV)

For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

Psalms 1:2 (NIV)

but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night.

James 1:5 (NIV)

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...