Friday, August 19, 2022

My clay experiences...

 


There are a few movies that I could watch over and over because they make me laugh.
 My Big Fat Greek Wedding is one.  The one-liners get me, and I often repeat them when I have the opportunity. 

There is one scene where the main character - Toula makes the decision to date a ‘non-Greek’ and hide it from her family.  Toula tells her entire family that she is going to a pottery class - while instead - she is out with Ian Miller.  Obviously, this only lasts for a hot minute and one of her cousins discovers the secret.  The cousin confronts Toula at her workplace when she catches the couple kissing.  The famous words from her cousin’s mouth; “Well Hello Mr. Pottery Class!”  makes me laugh every time because Ian Miller is obviously anything but potter class.

This stuck in my head for years until one day I found the perfect opportunity to use it!  My husband and I visited family a few years back and they invited us to, of all things, a pottery class.  I posted this picture below and titled it: “Well Hello Mr. Pottery Class!”  😊  I know only a few will get it, but I couldn’t help myself…

 


God has many lines (scriptures) in His word that I repeat daily to feed my soul and give me comfort and sometimes a laugh too.  One scripture that hits home is Isaiah 45:9. I can see God speaking these words to me daily…

“Woe to those who quarrel with their Maker, those who are nothing but potsherds among the potsherds on the ground. Does the clay say to the potter, ‘What are you making?’ Does your work say, ‘The potter has no hands’?

 

If you have ever seen the process of creating pottery, you would know it is quite the undertaking for the Potter.  First, the clay needs to be kneaded by hand to work out the air bubbles. This process takes time because the clay needs to be warmed and constantly kneaded to eliminate soft spots and made the clay more pliable.

 


Next the Potter takes the clay and places it on the wheel to start forming the bowl.  The skills of the Potter are shown as He carefully shapes the clay.  It is tough to rework the clay if mistakes happen, so the Potter takes His time to create the masterpiece.

 


Finally, there is a firing process that hardens the bowl.  The pottery is placed in a kiln for 12 hours at 850 degrees Fahrenheit.  The fire removes the physical and chemical water so the piece can be glazed without returning to mud and breaking.  The temperature is then dropped from the 850 degrees and the bowl remains in the kiln for 48 hours. 


The bowl is then removed and glazed or painted. 


 

Now why am I sharing all of this with you?  Because as scripture says, God is the Potter, and we are the clay He is forming for His will in our lives.  He is refining us through daily kneading and fire.  We can’t become who He has created us to be without the Potters hand in our lives.  When we try to change in our own strength, we fail miserably.  I know I do. 

However, the process is not always neat or comfortable. I complain when I am kneaded into the shape He has intended for my life. I am a mess sitting on the potter’s wheel like a lump covered in water.  I then cry out when the fire gets hotter in my life.  “Where are you God?!” 

Free will steps in. I sometimes fight the process.  I need to put myself on the alter as a living sacrifice as He does His will in my life.  I struggle daily with that. Someone shared with me recently that it is hard to keep a living sacrifice on an alter because it keeps jumping down.  I try not to jump down as the fire gets hotter.  I need to trust Him with everything.

I am so grateful for His grace and mercy towards me as I often complain through the entire process.  I need to trust the method, even during the pain, knowing He has my best interest at heart. 

Side note, did you notice no two pieces of potter are identical?  That is the same for us.  God has created us uniquely different.  Not one of us is identical to another person.  Even ‘identical’ twins are not.   God created us each differently to be a part of the body of Christ. How awesome is God?


So - next time you see a piece of pottery, thank our Heavenly Father for continuing that process in you…

 


Jeremiah 18:6 (NIV)

He said, “Can I not do with you, Israel, as this potter does?” declares the Lord. “Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, Israel.

Isaiah 45:9 (NIV)

“Woe to those who quarrel with their Maker, those who are nothing but potsherds among the potsherds on the ground. Does the clay say to the potter, ‘What are you making?’ Does your work say, ‘The potter has no hands’?

 


https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Pottery


Copyright © 2022 Peggy A. Priest. All Rights Reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment

God's Timing

  I am impatient .   I wait in grocery lines and pick up my phone and scroll through social media.   I stop at a red light and pick up ...